Friday 12 November 2010

The Poppy

As you’ve no doubt heard, a group of Muslim protesters burnt a poppy during the Remembrance Day service. I completely agree that it was a horrible, disrespectful thing to do. However, I hate the mass surge of hatred of Islam that has arisen from it. Those 35 people no more stand for the whole of their faith than I do for everyone with the name Rosie. Facebook is rife with pathetic comments that I find completely repulsive, those protesters should be ashamed, but so should the people using them as an excuse for insulting and victimising a whole faith group because of the actions of a small number of disrespectful people. Not for the first time, I find myself disappointed in, and ashamed of, the British public. I understand that there's a certain irony in my generalising British people, but facebook is a pretty good indication of the level of idiocy in our country.

Also, I love you Nan, and hope you feel better soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment